Newmarket History

Newmarket Racing HistoryThe history of Rowley Mile. It is named in honour of the King who used to be known as ‘Old Rowley’ and he also used to ride a horse by the same name.

Within a hundred years Newmarket was regularly running race meetings so much so that the Jockey Club was formed there in 1750. The Jockey Club was made up of the elite in the horse racing world and they became its appointed governing body. Although the Jockey Club has now moved to London, the original Jockey Club rooms still occupy a position of prominence on Newmarket’s High Street.

Newmarket HorseracingIn 1809 the Guineas Festival in early May each year. They are both ran on the Rowley Mile

In 1839, the two great handicaps were created, the Cambridgeshire and the Cesarewitch, which are still run today and are known together as the ‘Autumn Double’. The Champion Stakes was later inaugurated in 1877, which has now become the feature race at the Champions Meeting, ran in October each year.

1929 saw the introduction of the tote on the July Course, where the first dividend was 80 old shillings and sixpence to a stake of two. The July Course was also the first course to use starting stalls, which were introduced there in 1965. Since then Newmarket has simply got bigger and better each year. The focus of the whole area is horse racing and the Newmarket facilities that exist these days are simply the best anywhere in the world; it is now the home to 77 licensed trainers. The town of Newmarket is very proud of its heritage, with so much to see and do, it is well worthy of a visit by anyone whether they be a racing enthusiast or not.


We are committed to supporting Responsible Gambling Initiatives - For additional information visit : GamCare | Gamble Aware | Gamblers Anonymous